Tuesday, August 19, 2008

Here it goes...

I just got back from an amazing 3 month journey. For those of you that don't know, I have spent the last 3 months at Riverbend Retreat Center. Riverbend is a Baptist encampment in Glen Rose, TX. Churches from all over the state of Texas and some from elsewhere come there for youth, preteen, and children's camps. Missions have never been something I had a passion for. Don't get me wrong I have done my share of mission trips and volunteer work and experienced God's work in all of them, but I have never done anything this long term. We worked long, hard days behind the scenes providing a stress free atmosphere so campers and counselors could solely focus on the work God was doing. This truly shows you what foot-washing is all about. I have never scrubbed so many toilets or swept and mopped so many square feet in my life. After it is all said and done, I am truly grateful for every "Code 4" (clogged toilet) and thousands of slushies I made. This job made me realize that when you are working on God's team no job is greater than the other. This is something that will impact me for as long as I live. If you ever want to experience this first hand you let me know! I will gladly take you out to volunteer!

Through the work and the hustle and bustle of a 7AM- 9PM,10PM,11PM,and sometimes even 12Am job, I have never felt God move so much in my heart. I was forced to deal with a lot of harsh reality while being out there. God has been teaching me patience in a lot of different areas one BIG area in particular. He has taught me, there is a lot about my character that I need to change and perfection isn't something attainable ( as much as I think I need it). He has taught me that guarding your heart, while sometimes very good, can also be very bad. He taught me that discernment is a gift that I need to learn to control. I have learned blessings are given daily and denying blessings is painfully sinful. I learned that as long as you bathe your hardships in prayer God WILL give you peace.

I could go on and on about God's amazing grace and the work He has done in my heart. I am grateful to have a God who loves EVERYONE unfailingly. I am going to try my hardest to "lean not on my own understanding", "pray without seizing", and "rely on the love God has for us". So in the words of Big Daddy Weave...

I’m giving up, I’m letting go
Of everything that I’ve held onto
I’m giving up, I’m letting go
Of everything that I’ve let hold me
Far too long (for so long) Lord I know
I need to give You full control
Help me give up and let go

1 comment:

Lambert Mom said...

Jill,
It is great to read your blog! You have grown into such an amazing woman! I know God has great plans for you and I will pray that His blessings are continuously revealed to you. Keep in touch!
The Lamberts

Layout Credit

About Me

My photo
Garland, Texas, United States

Pageviews last month