Monday, August 29, 2011

New Stuff and Stilllll Waiting

So, Jonas and I have been back in Garland for 3 1/2 weeks now.  Is that all?!? It feels much longer than that for some reason.  Our life for the most part is still packed up in boxes and probably will be for a while longer.  We are so very thankful for Jonas' mom.  She has graciously opened her home to us.  We will be living in this little room for a few more months probably.  What a blessing this little room is to have! As far as our social life...wow.  We have something  to do almost every night of the week.  It is amazing.  

I have been looking and looking for jobs.  I had an interview at a church.  However, have decided not to pursue the position.  After a lot of prayer and conversations with Jonas, we have chosen another path.  I have recently been hired as a substitute teacher for Vista Academy in Garland.  Most of you know, I have a teaching degree but I did not pursue my certification because my heart was not in line with the states political agenda.  However, I LOVE TO TEACH.  I always have.  I feel like it is in my nature.  Vista, is a charter school.  

Educationbug.org(The best explanation I could find.) "The key differences between charter schools and regular public schools lies in three elements that help define them: they are held accountable, not just in general, but to achievement goals embedded in their charters. Their student body is made up of children whose parents chose the school, and the school is tailored to the student body’s needs. They are given freedom from certain bureaucratic procedures with the idea that this will give them a greater ability to focus on creating academic emphasis."

I know several of the teachers at Vista.  They are all friends and members of our faith family.  The reason I chose to apply as a sub to Vista, is the hopes that I may eventually be able to teach on staff there.  I have heard from more than one employee that Vista is one of the most uplifting teaching experiences they have had.  I am so excited about this new journey.  This will make for an easy transition back into the classroom.  Jonas and I both truly believe that this opportunity is straight from God.  His hand has been very evident in the last few days.  Although substitute teaching isn't the best pay, it will definitely pay off in the long run.

As far as Jonas goes...we are STILL waiting on the TSA.  As you might remember, he received a tentative job offer back in March.  He is in the ready pool waiting to be picked up by DFW or Love Field.  It is also time again for another FAA hiring panel.  Jonas in the meantime has been commuting from Garland to Denton for work at First Baptist.  Needless to say, he is already exhausted from all of the driving and it keeps him away from home two nights a week.  We ask for continued prayer on his career journey.  


No comments:

Layout Credit

About Me

My photo
Garland, Texas, United States

Pageviews last month